In most automobile accident situations, determining fault and liability is a simple and straightforward process. One of the two drivers involved in the incident is usually to blame. Thus the liability for damages and injuries generally falls on them.
Unfortunately, this is not always the case for all motor vehicle accidents. Accidents which involve multiple vehicles are far more complex. There are many factors you should consider if you have been involved in a multi-vehicle accident. Working with a reputable car accident attorney in Utah will ensure your legal rights are protected.
When Multiple Parties Are At Fault
It is crucial to note that there is no set method to determine who is at fault for an accident. In some cases, a single vehicle will have 100% of the fault for the accident. In other cases, the fault can be spread upon multiple parties involved.
For example, let’s consider a situation in which a person rear-ends another driver on the roadway. The vehicle struck is then pushed into the vehicle in front of them. In this case, the driver of the vehicle who struck the first vehicle will incur responsibility for damages to both vehicles involved.
Now, think of a situation in which a driver is traveling at a high rate of speed and runs a red light. After crossing the accident, they are hit by another vehicle who ran the red light in the opposite direction at the same time. After these two vehicles collide, they strike a third vehicle, causing injuries and damages to that driver. As you would have guessed, both parties who speed through the red lights are responsible for the damages and injuries sustained by the third party.
These are just some circumstances victims encounter when injured in car accidents by reckless and negligent drivers. If you were involved in a multi-vehicle accident, it is crucial for you to contact a knowledgeable personal injury attorney as soon as possible to explore the legal options available for your case.
Other Critical Factors In Multi-Vehicle Accidents
There are various areas that play a critical role in determining liability in multi-vehicle accidents. Some of these include:
- The Types Of Vehicles Involved: If a person in a commercial or company vehicle is involved in an accident, the employer may sustain some of the liability for injuries and damages incurred.
- Whether The Driver Was Impaired: In cases where victims are injured in accidents caused by impaired drivers, they may be able to go after the bar or restaurant that served the impaired driver beyond the point of impairment.
- Geographic Features: If poor visibility or other driving conditions played a role in the accident, the city itself might bear some liability for injuries and damages resulting from the accident.
It is crucial to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to review the specific circumstances surrounding your accident.
Insurance Considerations In Multi-Vehicle Accidents
When multi-vehicle accidents occur in Utah, all drivers generally shift their concern to the insurance policies maintained by everyone involved. Our state maintains a no-fault auto insurance policy. What this means, is that victims must first utilize their own personal injury protection policies to pay for medical bills and lost wages. Once the policy limit is reached, the victim can then go after the at-fault party for compensation to cover other medical expenses, lost wages, and various damages related to the incident. Unfortunately, victims often reach their maximum limits fairly quickly. In these cases, victims should contact a skilled car accident attorney to help them file a legal claim for compensation.
Considering Mental Trauma After Multi-Vehicle Accidents
Victims involved in multi-vehicle accidents are at serious risk for physical injuries. One area often overlooked is the potential for victims to sustain serious mental damages as well. Going through an automobile accident is an extremely stressful situation. These situations often may trauma symptoms far more severe.
Some of the most common mental trauma symptoms victims experience are:
- Association Issues: Individuals will avoid anything associated with the accident. Quite often, those injured will have problems driving or getting behind the wheel of a car.
- Sleep Disturbances: Accident victims may have a very difficult time falling or staying asleep after their accidents. These individuals may have nightmares or suffer from insomnia.
- Eating Problems: Individuals involved in motor vehicle accidents often have problems eating due to anxiety. Unfortunately, there are instances where victims will overeat in an effort to cope with their emotions.
- Anxiety: Accident victims often become more anxious around others after motor vehicle accidents.
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Victims may suffer from PTSD, which can last for several years or a lifetime following a motor vehicle accident.
When individuals suffer mental traumas following multi-vehicle accidents, they may be entitled to compensation for these conditions. Contact a skilled car accident attorney to see what legal options are available for your case.
Victims who suffer from mental trauma after accidents can obtain compensation to cover various damages related to their conditions. Some of these damages include compensation for:
- All medical bills related to the injuries or conditions from the accident;
- Pain and suffering, including future quality of life;
- Lost wages or earnings; and
- Funeral and burial expenses where applicable.
A Utah Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
Victims injured in multi-vehicle accidents should contact a skilled and knowledgeable personal injury attorney from Siegfried & Jensen as soon as possible. Our attorneys work aggressively to protect the legal rights of accident victims across Utah. Since 1990, we have helped more than 35,000 victims get the compensation and justice they deserve for their accidents.
Our in-depth knowledge of Utah personal injury laws enables us to help clients get the maximum amount of compensation for which they are entitled. We work aggressively to negotiate fair and full settlements for accident victims so they can maintain their financial obligations while focusing on recovery. If you were injured in a multi-vehicle accident, due to the negligent or reckless acts of another person, contact our law firm at (801) 845-9000 to see what legal options are available for you.
Content checked by personal injury attorney Todd Bradford. I worked for a small law firm in Utah County, where I handled various types of cases. My main focus was personal injury and I decided that is what I enjoyed doing the most. I rejoined Siegfried and Jensen in 2012 where my focus is solely on helping personal injury clients. I take pride in helping personal injury clients and enjoy serving them. If you need an attorney for auto accidents or injuries of any kind in Salt Lake City, UT, Ogden, UT, Spokane, WA, or Boise, ID, contact us.