Things to regularly keep an eye on include
- Making sure that the tires have the correct inflation pressure. Both under-inflation and over-inflation can cause problems
- Making sure that the tires are in proper alignment. Improper alignment can cause increased wear and tear on more than just the tires.
- Rotating the tires as recommended so that they wear in the safest way possible.
- Inspecting the sidewalls and treads for bubbles, cracks, separation, or uneven wear. All these things can be signs of serious problems.
- Practicing good driving habits. Tires that are treated well should treat you well.
If you spot signs of possible tire trouble, have your tires inspected by an expert as soon as possible. Prevention is always the best choice!
*NHTSA, the Rubber Manufactures Association, and Consumer Reports have some good basic information about tire safety.