What To Do After A Slip And Fall

Bruises, cuts, sprains, and fractures are the painful outcomes of slip-and-fall accidents. Emotional and mental wounds are less visible but can also impact your life for years to come. Seeking medical and psychological attention is essential, but treatment can come at a steep price.

Over 15 percent of the total cost of disabling work injuries in 2023 came from falling on the same level. Direct costs for this type of injury amounted to $8.98 billion in the US. Clearly, slip-and-fall accidents take a financial toll on those affected. Medical bills, lost wages, home modifications, rehabilitation expenses, and the loss of future earning potential can make it seem impossible to get out of debt.

In 30 years, Siegfried & Jensen have won $1.2 billion in financial relief for our clients. If you were hurt in a slip-and-fall accident, our personal injury attorneys can determine whether you are eligible for significant compensation for your losses. We invite you to protect your rights by following the advice below. Contact us 24 hours a day at (801) 845-9000 to schedule an informative free consultation with our legal team.

Seek Medical Attention

In 2020, researchers revealed that 32 percent of hospitalized patients with moderate to severe injuries had suffered falls, most commonly affecting the head, spine, and chest. Getting prompt medical attention is a key component of recovering from serious injuries.

What if you had a severe fall but did not see any visible injuries or feel any pain? You should still seek the opinion of a medical professional. Some symptoms are not evident immediately; doctors can perform tests to ensure you are not suffering from hidden injuries.

Your physician can also monitor your condition and give you a treatment plan. Make sure you attend your follow-up appointments. Keeping a record of medical reports, bills, and prescriptions will support your insurance claims and legal proceedings.

Report the Accident

Making prompt official reports helps preserve crucial evidence for your slip-and-fall accident claim. The following section will discuss what to do if your fall happens at work or on someone else’s property.

Work-related slip-and-fall accidents

If needed, call emergency services or ask someone nearby to assist you when you are hurt on the job. An injured employee should report an injury or illness to his or her employer immediately. It is the employee’s responsibility to report the injury to a physician, supervisor, manager, human resources, or any other individual or department that should receive the report of injury.

Workers’ compensation insurance protects your rights as an employee by ensuring you receive compensation for lost wages if you need time off work to recover. If you cannot report the injury directly, a family member can do so on your behalf. Failure to report an injury or illness within the allotted time period could disqualify you from receiving workers’ compensation benefits.

The employer has 7 days to report the injury claims to an insurance carrier. Meanwhile, the insurance company has 14 days to report a “First Report of Injury” to the Industrial Accidents Division, an organization responsible for overseeing the administration of workers’ compensation benefits. You should receive a copy of this report and a publication called “Injured Workers’ Rights and Responsibilities.”

Injuries on someone else’s property

On the other hand, if you fall on someone else’s property, such as in a store or public place, inform the property owner, manager, or security personnel.

Your personal injury lawyer can help you gather evidence to support your case, such as:

  • Photographs or surveillance footage of the accident scene, highlighting dangerous conditions such as broken stairs, uneven flooring, or poor lighting
  • Eyewitness statements from individuals who were present at the time of the accident, providing firsthand accounts of what happened and any negligence they observed
  • Maintenance records or inspection reports that document any previous complaints or issues regarding the property’s upkeep or safety standards
  • Expert testimony from professionals such as engineers or building inspectors, who can assess the property’s condition and identify safety regulation violations
  • Incident reports or communications between the property owner, tenants, or employees, which may indicate awareness of hazards or similar previous incidents

The sooner your legal team starts investigating, the more likely they are to find evidence before it is lost or destroyed. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible if you were injured away from home or when visiting or renting someone else’s property.

Intentional harm

If the slip-and-fall accident occurs due to a crime, such as assault or robbery, you must file a police report. Not only does this initiate an investigation into the incident, but it also helps law enforcement take appropriate action to apprehend the perpetrator and prevent further crimes. This official record of the incident can be valuable if you need to seek compensation through legal channels.

What if the person who hurt you is found “not guilty” at trial? The government initiates criminal lawsuits to prosecute individuals accused of wrongdoing against the state or society. Even if someone is found “not guilty,” you may still seek compensation through a civil lawsuit if you suffered harm or losses due to his or her actions.

Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer

When you slip and fall, an outstretched hand can be a comforting sign that help is nearby. At Siegfried & Jensen, we want to be there for you when you need us.

Our experienced team of lawyers can explain your legal rights and the steps you need to take to pursue compensation. We can help you meet essential deadlines and deal with the tedious demands of insurance companies while you focus on recovering your peace of mind. With our law firm, you will not have to worry about out-of-pocket fees, so there is no reason to hesitate.

Why go through this ordeal alone? Let us lift you up by listening to your story, answering your questions, and advising you on your legal options. Call (801) 845-9000 now to schedule your free case review. 

You can find us in IdahoWashington and also in Utah, in:

Zoom Screenshot_16.png

Content checked by personal injury attorney Todd Bradford. I worked for a small law firm in Utah County, where I handled various types of cases. My main focus was personal injury and I decided that is what I enjoyed doing the most. I rejoined Siegfried and Jensen in 2012 where my focus is solely on helping personal injury clients. I take pride in helping personal injury clients and enjoy serving them. If you need an attorney for auto accidents or injuries of any kind in Salt Lake City, UT, Ogden, UT, Spokane, WA, or Boise, ID, contact us.